Sunday, May 15, 2011

Running with the Kenyans (posted by Suzanne)

I have run many races before and even a few against Kenyans (though they usually finish hours ahead of me.) I did not expect that in coming to Kenya to work with the Umoja Project, I would find myself competing in a Kenyan track meet. But yes, I recently had my international running debut.

We were headed to Bar-Anding’o Primary School for the afternoon to see their new poultry project, garden and fuel efficient cook stove that the Umoja Project had helped support. But as soon as our matatu pulled up, it was clear this was no ordinary school day. It was athletics day and students from three neighboring schools had come to compete in track and field events. A track had been carved in the dirt in front of the school and parents, guardians and students crowded the sidelines cheering on the runners. It must have been obvious that I was showing much more interest in watching the competition than in the veggies growing in the garden so Leonard, the Umoja link teacher, asked if I would race with the students. I immediately shook my head and said no acting as if that was a silly idea, but secretly was dying to join in.

Leonard saw right through my bluff and went to arrange a spot for me in the next race. The next and final race turned out to be a 4x100 relay, but I was without a team. It did not take long for them to round up three other guardians to complete my team and we were ready to go. I was running the fourth leg so I found my place on the track, tightened up my shoelaces and waited eagerly for my new teammate to round the curve and pass me the baton. I felt a bit unprepared as I was wearing a calf link skirt and street shoes, but no one else in the race was even wearing shoes!

The class 8 girls turned out to be stiff competition and by the time the baton was passed to me, the other teams had almost finished. As I grabbed the baton and started my sprint, the whole crowd erupted in laughter and started yelling “muzungu.” I may not have impressed them with my athletic prowess, but I think they enjoyed the show. Though I still remain winless against the Kenyans, even the class 8 girls running without shoes, this was certainly one of the most memorable athletic events of my life. And I have been invited back to participate again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment